COMMUNITY PROGRAM MANAGER
United DFC is seeking a full-time Community Program Manager. The successful candidate will provide effective program management and effective leadership of United DFC’s Community programs (including Active Start, Fundamentals and Soccer for Life) and other tasks in order to provide a high quality experience for our members and to grow soccer within our club. This position will report to the Executive Director and work with the United DFC Director of Soccer following best practices from Canada Soccer and Soccer Nova Scotia. This position will be a senior leadership position within the soccer club, and responsible for liaising with members and external partners on job related matters.
This role is about working with people - our staff, volunteers, members and their families, as well as other clubs and organizations. The successful candidate will be collaborative, with strong planning and communication skills, and an appreciation of cognitive, social-emotional, and physical development of children and youth. The successful candidate will value physical activity for all ages and ability levels and have a strong desire to provide quality programming for our members, especially at the mini and community levels.
This is a management position, and the successful candidate’s primary focus will be on growing the club and providing a high quality experience for players who wish to play recreational soccer with the goal of promoting, encouraging and establishing Soccer for Life programming. The successful candidate will need to organize many programs across all age groups balancing the best interests of the club, teams and players. The candidate should have a developing understanding of budgeting as it pertains to planning and program operations, and the ability to manage competing priorities. During the spring and summer, the successful candidate will be required to hire, train, schedule and supervise summer staff with support from the club.
This is a dynamic environment, and the successful candidate will need to be adaptable, flexible and collaborative. Work schedules will include a requirement to be on the field on evenings and weekends, working to ensure programs are running smoothly and participants are engaged and having fun.
United DFC is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work culture. We welcome and encourage applicants who are BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ and persons with (dis)abilities to self-identify in their cover letter.
This is a 40 hour per week position. Salary range is based on experience. The work location is in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. Along with a competitive salary in the sport sector, the position offers medical, generous vacation time, cell phone plan and professional development.
To apply for this position please email your resume and cover letter along with your salary expectations to David Campbell at firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 5pm (AST) on Monday, November 22, 2021. We thank all applicants in advance; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Community Program Development
- Report directly to the Executive Director and work collaboratively with the Director of Soccer and other staff and key volunteers.
- Directly manage mini U3-U8, U10/12 C, U13-18 B, Senior recreational teams and special programs (like special olympics, etc)
- With support from the Director of Soccer, implement the club’s technical plan and organize soccer programming for U3-senior age Community groups, including Mini, Recreational and and Adult recreational streams in accordance with Canada Soccer and Soccer Nova Scotia guidelines.
- Recruit, retain and manage all part-time staff and volunteer coaches within United DFC Community programming. Ensure that the certification, recognition, appreciation and advancement for coaches is conducted in a collaborative environment.
- Work closely with the other United DFC staff and coaches to retain and transition all players as appropriate between programs and levels.
- Participate in developing and implementing the “United DFC Experience” for members.
- Contribute to player recruitment and retention planning and activities.
- Adhere to Club technical policies.
- Support aligned player curricula for all ages within the Soccer for Life model to support coaches and staff in developing players that align with the United DFC game model.
- With direction from the Director of Soccer, provide assessment, appraisal and due performance management (including dismissal if necessary) of club coaches in the Community program.
- With support, develop and responsibly manage the United DFC Community Program annual budget.
- Responsible for planning and supervising the United DFC Summer and PD Day camps Participate in fundraising, sponsorship and grant writing as related to community programs or as directed by the Executive Director.
- In the Fall and Winter, the Skills Center Program may be allocated to this position to balance the winter workload. Support the skills center program operationally.
- Provide feedback and report on all aspects of community program operations – technical, promotion, recruitment, retention, administration, & communications as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Support the other United DFC staff and key volunteers as needed.
- Develop an Adult Recreation Strategy including supporting existing players and recruiting and retaining future players.
- Explore programming opportunities for diverse communities including special needs.
- Other tasks as required.
- Establish and maintain appropriate and successful relationships and good standing with the Provincial Sport Organization, Soccer Nova Scotia.
- Communicate well with membership regarding key items as they pertain to the delivery of Community programming, via written correspondence, phone calls, online presentations, 1on1 in-person conversations, small group discussions and public presentations to members
- Develop and implement a player recruitment strategy
- Attendance at and presentation to the Board of Directors on strategic matters as requested.
- Continuously monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of United DFC methods, procedures and programs; assess and monitor workload; identify and implement opportunities for improvement; review with Executive Director and/or Director of Soccer where appropriate
- Supervise, promote, implement, and evaluate various Community programs for children and adults.
- Prepare and maintain records and evaluation reports on new and on-going program offerings.
- Recruit, select, train, motivate, schedule, supervise, and evaluate full-time, part-time, and volunteer staff; provide staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures.
- Manage, direct and coordinate the work of part time staff and volunteer coaches/ managers.
- Select, supervise, train and evaluate part-time and summer staff.
- Provide administrative support, leadership and direction for the United DFC’s Community Programs.
- Perform responsible and challenging work involving the use of independent judgment and personal initiative.
- Analyze problems; identify feasible solutions; project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, board members, coaches, volunteers, parents, part time staff and outside stakeholders.
- Assess and monitor community needs; identify opportunities for improving service delivery methods and procedures for development and implementation of new program areas.
- Maintain administrative systems for facility and program scheduling, calendaring, and other functions with support of the Program Support Manager.
- Participate in long-range and strategic planning.
- Work effectively under pressure and deadlines in a busy environment.
- Communicate clearly, concisely, and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Maintain a Valid Driver’s License
- Other tasks as required
We are seeking a candidate with a minimum of an undergraduate degree, or equivalent education, experience and skills in the following areas:
- Context specific applicable degree i.e. recreation and leisure studies, community development, management, sports development, etc, or, experience within the industry/related industry that shows grasp of above responsibilities
- Experience developing programming for a Community Soccer Club, community recreation office, Regional District or Provincial Sport Organization.
- Experience creating Program Operational Plans
- Demonstrated strong problem solving and decision making skills
- Proven experience leading diverse teams
- Experience working with a variety of diverse stakeholders and partners
- Coaching certifications and experience are an asset.
- Understanding of Long Term Athlete Development is an asset.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Flexible office hours to offset evenings and weekends
- Hours include a requirement to be on the field evenings and weekends.
- Common requirement to participate in meetings outside of regular working hours
- Shared responsibility for a clean, organized and respectful work environment
- 12 Months of the Year Position
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet while in the office and moderately loud when in the field.
Physical & Mental Requirements
Must have the physical ability to visit fields/ facilities and carry equipment. Must be able to manage multiple projects and interests, and competing deadlines which may be stressful at times. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ABOUT UNITED DFC
United Dartmouth Football Club was formed in 2018 when the four soccer clubs of HarbourEast Region -Cole HarbourSoccer Club, Eastern Passage Soccer Club, Dartmouth United Soccer Club, and Dartmouth Football Club -united. Our colours are navy, white and action green, and we proudly refer to ourselves as “United!” United DFC is one of the largest clubs in Nova Scotia, with over 2,500 players from Under 3 to Senior. United DFC will deliver community soccer programs in Dartmouth, Cole Harbour and Eastern Passage communities, and also field competitive teams in Soccer Nova Scotia leagues at all age levels.
United DFC’s mission is to promote and grow the sport of soccer in our communities, creating pathways and opportunities for players and volunteers to be involved in soccer for life.
To be recognized as a leading and progressive soccer club in Canada in the areas of player and coach development, community integration and responsible governance.
Accountability: We recognize the duty is ours to ensure UDFC provides a safe and inclusive environment for everyone, and with that comes accountability and open communication.
Accessibility: Our community is our heart, and we strive to ensure all our operations and programming are open, accessible and inclusive for everyone in our communities.
Excellence: Our vision of excellence is to exceed expectations and deliver quality soccer programming for all levels of skill, ability, and goals
Respect: At UDFC we believe in sportsmanship, tolerance and respect for all, whether we are on the field or in our communities.